Quest. What rules are you to observe for the sanctifying of the Sabbath?
Ans. 1. I must rise early to sanctify myself, and all that belong to me, for God's service that day.
2. I must keep it from morning till evening. Lev. 23.32.
3. I must frequent the exercises of religion, and be present with all reverence at prayer and preaching.
4. I must not so go from Sermon to Sermon, that I confer not of God's Word which I hear, especially with such as belong unto me. Acts 17.10, 11.
5. I must meditate of all God's mercy, especially of such as are given me in Christ.
6. I must not make that day, a day of feasting, sporting, or visiting (as the most do) of friends abroad. Isa. 58.13, 14.
7. I must do no work on that day, which might have been done the day before, or may be done the day after. Exod. 20.10.
8. I must labour to be at God's house with the first, that so I may be partaker of the whole service. Mat. 18.20; Heb. 10.25.
9. I must visit such as are comfortless, if I know, or imagine they stand in need of my help. James 1.27.
10. I must be careful to provide something, which I may distribute to the necessity of the Saints. 1 Cor. 16.2.
These rules must I observe, lest it be truly said of me, which was falsely said of Christ, This man is not of God, for he keepeth not the Sabbath. John 9.16.
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Robert Hill's Rules for Sanctifying the Lord's Day
Robert Hill, The Pathway to Prayer and Piety, Vol. 2, pp. 19-20: