Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Give Me, Dear Lord, A Heart of Flesh

Thomas Shaw Bancroft Reade (1776-1841), Christian Retirement, or Spiritual Exercises of the Heart by a Layman (1827 ed.), p. 43:

With guilt oppressed, bowed down with sin,
Beneath its load I groan;
Give me, dear Lord, a heart of flesh,
Remove this heart of stone.

A burdened sinner, lo! I come,
An heir of death and hell;
Oh! seal my pardon with your blood,
And all my fears dispel.

Nor peace, nor rest, my soul can find,
Until your dear cross I see;
Until there in humble faith I cry,
My Jesus died for me.

Oh! give this realizing faith,
This soul supporting view;
Until old things be forever past,
And all within be new.

1 comment:

  1. Love this book and Reade's quotes. A fellow Pilgrim traveler. Thanks for posting this blog Andrew. I hit anonymous because I don't have to fill out stuff! lol Donna Lochridge, FB Friend.

    ReplyDelete