Friday, March 20, 2009

The Huguenot Poetry of Antoine de la Roche-Chandieu

Antoine de la Roche-Chandieu (1534-1591) was an early leader of the French Reformed Church who, with John Calvin, co-authored the 1559 French (or Gallican) Confession. He wrote other works as well, including poetry, which has been highlighted (and helpfully translated) recently on a blog by RPCNA pastor Christian Adjemian. I encourage readers interested in Huguenot poetry to read his posts here and here, and for one that combines a musical setting with Chandieu's poetic compositions, see here. Thank you, Dr. Adjemian, for shedding light on this Huguenot art.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason my reader didn't download the past couple of days' worth of posts until just now -- in any case thanks for this great find. I am very eager to hear such music; those were such vivid and beautiful ideas in the poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. De rien! I too enjoy finding such things. The more I look, the more it seems to me that there are great poetic and artistic treasures to be found amongst the Reformed of bygone eras that are worthy of bringing to light.

    ReplyDelete