Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pray For Your Pastor

John Shaw, The Character of a Pastor According to God's Heart, a sermon preached on August 25, 1752, pp. 14-15:

They [the people] should be much in prayer for him. The best minister in the world, though abounding in gifts and graces, is yet desirous to have the pious and godly among his hearers, not insensible that he needs them. So was the Apostle, Romans 15:30, Now I beseech you brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me, in your prayers to God for me. So it is in Ephesians 6:18-19, Praying always...for me that utterance may be given me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel. If such a minister of Christ as the Apostle, who was filled with the Holy Ghost in an extraordinary manner, yet needed and desired the prayers of the godly, certainly, then, the ordinary and standing ministers of the gospel need them. And, if they need and desire the prayers of a people, it is the duty of a people to pray for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment