Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Resignation

The following is an extract from John Norris of Bemerton's poem, The Resignation, which was published in A Collection of Miscellanies: Consisting of Poems, Essays, Discourses and Letters (1687, 1717 ed.):

Since 'tis thy sentence I should part
With the most precious treasure of my heart,
I freely that and more resign,
My heart itself, as its delight, is thine;
My little all I give to thee,
Thou gav'st a greater gift, Thy Son, to me.
...
Take all, great God, I will not grieve
But still will wish that I had still to give;
I hear Thy voice, thou bidst me quit
My paradise; I bless and do submit;
I will not murmur at Thy word,
Nor beg Thy angel to sheath up his sword.

Postscript: This poetic extract is quoted by Richard Alleine in The World Conquered by the Faithful Christian, p. 41, with a different ending line:

Nor seek a shelter from Thy chastening sword.

2 comments:

  1. Those are not only beautiful words, but very helpful thoughts. Thanks so much. (I added the ebook to my library :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome, Heidi. I think this is one of the most eloquent poetic expressions of "Not my will be done, but Thine" that I have come across, and it is inspirational to me.

    ReplyDelete