Monday, March 8, 2010

No Regrets

J.C. Ryle, "Repentance; Its Nature and Necessity," a sermon preached on August 29, 1858:

No man ever said, at the end of his days, ‘I have read my Bible too much, I have thought of God too much, I have prayed too much, I have been too careful with my soul.’

William S. Plumer, "Prayer Shown to be Efficacious," in Samuel Irenaeus Prime, The Power of Prayer: Illustrated in the Wonderful Displays of Divine Grace at the Fulton Street and Other Meetings in New York and Elsewhere, in 1857 and 1858, p. 350:

It is not possible to over-estimate the value of prayer. For more than thirty-five years I have had much intercourse with dying saints and sinners of various ages and conditions. In all that time I have not heard one express regret that he had spent too much time in prayer; I have heard many mourn that they had so seldom visited a throne of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment