Saturday, January 29, 2011

Morning and Evening Meditations

Oliver Heywood, Heart Treasure, pp. 283, 298:

When you wake in the morning, let such thoughts as these impress your mind. How merciful is the Lord, who has guarded me in my unconscious hours! He has raised this frail body from natural slumber; and He can raise it as easily, and will raise it, from the slumber of the sepulchre at the last day. Sleep is the image of death. If I die in Jesus, death will be to me but a sleep -- the grave my secure and peaceful bed -- the resurrection my bright and joyful awakening. O that ever now, when I awake, I may be still with God! Then, at my final awakening, I shall behold His face in righteousness, rejoice in His presence, and bear His image. "I shall be satisfied when I awake with Thy likeness."
...
When the shades of evening fall around you, and the sky is full stars, think: Another day of my life is gone, and I am so much nearer to eternity. What improvement have I made of these precious hours? Have I used them to the glory of God? Am I more ripe for heaven now than when the morning dawned? O Lord, lift up the light of Thy countenance upon me. I walk through a dark night of error, perplexity, and trial. Show me the path of life. Let the blessed day-star arise in my heart. When, O when shall my soul be translated above yonder twinkling stars, to shine in the celestial firmament for ever and ever! And when you lay aside your garments and seek your wonted repose, meditate thus: Even so must thou, my soul, put off the body at death, and be unclothed that thou mayst "be clothed upon with thy house which is from heaven," and "that mortality may be swallowed up of life." O, then, daily undress thee of corruption and sin; give up thyself into the hands of Christ; and lay thyself asleep beneath His loving eye, as thou wouldst wish to be found at death, or on the morning of the resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment