Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Humble Catechist

Those who teach can always learn from others and this lesson is exemplified in the humble statements of two men who served the church of Christ notably as catechists.

Jacobus Koelman, The Duties of Parents, p. 31:

The catechisms composed by others have served me as aids and guides. The reason why in this process I do not follow so much the Heidelberg Catechism as I do the Westminster Shorter Catechism of England, Scotland, and Ireland is simply that the latter is in all respects superior. For why should we not honestly acknowledge such an obvious truth? It would be good if the church of The Netherlands would be willing to learn and take over a variety of things from the churches in England and Scotland, things which they formulated in their church order and other formularies more clearly in accordance with God's Word than our church has done.

C.H. Spurgeon, Speeches by C. H. Spurgeon at Home and Abroad, p. 12:

It strikes me that, here in England, we greatly need more Bible catechizing of the children of all classes. I was very much struck with the Scotch, how vastly superior their children are to our youngsters in the knowledge of the Scriptures. I sometimes take young men into my institution for the ministry whose education is very deficient, and I sometimes find these good, earnest young English brethren, though they have read the Scriptures, [they are] not thoroughly acquainted even with the historical parts and narratives, but often make sad blunders. Now, though I have dealt with many Scotchmen, I never met with one who was not thoroughly acquainted with the narrative and well-instructed in the doctrine. I attribute that to the use of catechisms, and I think that, if we could revive, more and more, the use of a good catechism, or the catechetical principle of bringing home, by question and answer, the doctrines and truths of Scripture to the lads of our villages, we should be doing a world of good. The way to secure the masses would be to secure them when young.

No comments:

Post a Comment