Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hear the Word With Affection

Thomas Vincent, "Godliness in Principle and Conversation," in Fire and Brimstone, pp. 217-218:

Hear the Word with affection. See the affection David had for the Word throughout Psalm 119. In verse 82: "Mine eyes fail for Thy Word." Verse 131: "I opened my mouth and panted, for I longed for Thy commandments." Verse 20: "My soul breaketh for the longing it hath unto Thy judgments at all times." Verse 163: "Thy law do I love." Verse 159: "Consider how I love Thy precepts." Verse 97: "Oh, how I love Thy law!" Verse 167: "My soul hath kept Thy testimonies, and I love them exceedingly." Verse 16: "I will delight myself in Thy statutes." Verse 24: "Thy testimonies are my delight and my counselors." Verse 103: "How sweet are Thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth." Verse 72: "The law of Thy mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver." Verse 111: "Thy testimonies have I taken as a heritage forever, for they are the rejoicing of my heart." Verse 162: "I rejoice at Thy Word as one that findeth great spoil."

Labor for like affections in hearing the Word. Labor that your hearts may be warm, yea, burn within you while the Scriptures are opened unto you, as in Luke 24:32. See the danger of hearing the Word without love and suitable affection. 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12: "Because they received not the love of the truth that they may be saved, for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie, that they all might be damned, who believe not the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness."

No comments:

Post a Comment