Thursday, December 31, 2009

Henry on New Year's

It was the practice of both Philip Henry and his son Matthew to reflect at New Year's on the year past and the year to come. Here are some extracts from their diaries containing New Year's meditations and resolutions for consideration as we close one decade and enter into another. Diary of Philip Henry, January 1, 1661:
This day begins the new year, the Lord make it a year of mercy.
January 2, 1670:
Vows renewed this day of better obedience. Lord, give a new heart this year that the life may be new also.
January 1, 1671:
Covenants of new obedience solemnly renewed with God, and sealed, this new year's day, in the blood of Jesus Christ. Amen! Lord, be surety for thy servant for good! I yield myself, and all my concerns, to be at thy disposal; and I am heartily glad that my times are in thy hand, and not my own. Do with me, and mine, this year, as seemeth good in thine eyes! So be it!
January 1, 1673:
At Moston at John Lawrence's. Col. I. 18. That in all thee might have the pre-eminence, Lord Jesus, thine it is, I give it thee this day, beginning the year with thee, Lord, make it to me a year of mercy.
Matthew Henry seems to have made a special point to begin memorializing his anniversary reflections at the turn of the 18th century. Diary of Matthew Henry, [presumably January 1, 1700]:
This new-year's day, I have solemnly renewed the resignation and surrender of my whole self to God, as my God, deliberately, and upon good considerations. I have renounced the world and the flesh, as knowing they cannot make me happy; and have devoted my whole self to the blessed Spirit, to be enlightened, and sanctified, and so recommended to the Son, as qualified for an interest in his mediation, according to the tenor of the gospel. I likewise devote myself, through the Spirit, to the Lord Jesus Christ, as my Advocate with the Father, and my way to him; by him to be recommended to the grace and favor of God the Father, relying upon Christ's righteousness alone; for without him, I am less than nothing, worse than nothing. I, likewise, devote myself, through the Lord Jesus Christ, to God the Father, as my chief good and highest end; as the author of my being, to whom I am obliged in duty; and the felicity of my being, to whom I am obliged in interest. O Lord, truly I am thy servant; may I ever be free in thy service, and never desire to be free from it. Nail my ear to thy door posts, and let me serve thee forever.
January 1, 1701:
I solemnly renew the dedication of myself unto God, thankfully acknowledging and admiring his patience and forbearance towards me, that he has continued such a dry and barren tree as I am in his vineyard for so many years, and continued to me the gifts of his bounty and grace; and particularly acknowledging the last year to have been a year of much mercy especially in the encouragement given to my ministry. Lamenting and bewailing my great unfruitfulness, and that I have governed my thoughts, appetites, passions, and words, no better; that I have husbanded my time and opportunities no better; and improved so little in knowledge and grace, and done so little to the honor of my great Creator and Redeemer. But being also more and more confirmed in my belief of the being and attributes of God, of the mediation of the Lord Jesus Christ between God and man, and of the reality and weight of invisible things, and being more and more satisfied that this is the true grace of God, wherein I stand, and am resolved, in the strength of God, to stand in it. I do solemnly resign and give up my whole self to God in Jesus Christ. I commit my soul and all the concerns of my spiritual state to the grace of God. and to the word of his grace, subjecting myself to the conduct and government of the blessed Spirit, and to his influences and operations, which I earnestly desire and depend upon for the mortifying of my corruptions, the strengthening of my graces, the furnishing of me for every good word and work, and the ripening of me for heaven.

I commit my body, and all the concerns of my outward condition, to the providence of God, to be ordered and disposed by the wisdom and will of my heavenly Father. Not knowing the things which may befall me this year, I refer myself to God. Whether it shall be my dying year or no, I know not; but it is my earnest expectation and hope, that the Lord Jesus Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life or death, by health or sickness, by plenty or poverty, by liberty or restraint, by preaching or silence, by comfort or sorrow. Welcome, welcome the will of God, whatever it be. The Lord give me grace to stand complete in it.

December 31, 1701:

Believing prayer to be an instituted way of communion with God, and fetching in mercy and grace from him, I have comfort in it daily; my daily prayers are the sweetest of my daily comforts. Having of late had my body feasted above the ordinary meals, I desire this day to have my soul fed more plentifully with the duty of prayer, and thus to close the year, which (Janus-like) looks both ways. I have not had this year such remarkable afflictions as some other years. The greatest has been the death of my dear and honorable friend, Madam Hunt of Boreatton. But my errands to the throne of grace to-day are,

1. By way of lamentation and humiliation.

I have reason to lament greatly the strength of my own corruptions, and weakness of my graces. By reason of the former I am as smoking flax, by reason of the latter as a bruised reed. I am still full of vain thoughts, and empty of good thoughts; many of my secret prayers are wretchedly disfigured and spoiled, by a multitude of distractions and diversions of mind; the flesh, and the things of the flesh still minded, to the prejudice of the Spirit, and the neglect of the things of the Spirit.

I have lost a great deal of precious time, and not filled it up, or else I might have gone forwarder in my notes on the Evangelist John. [This was written before Matthew Henry began to write his famous Commentary on the Bible.] Sins easily beset me, and I do not do the things that I would.

I have very much reason to bewail my manifold defects in my ministerial work, my coldness in prayer, that I speak not of the things of God with more clearness and concern. O, how many, how great, are the iniquities of my holy things! 
I bewail the little success of my ministry, and the miscarriages of some this year, for hereby my God will humble me. Grief also, great grief for this sin of ------; some of the young ones whom I have catechised and taken pains with are no comfort to me. Lord, show me wherefore thou contendest with me? 
The low condition of the church of God ought to be greatly lamented; the protestant interest small, very small; a decay of piety; attempts for reformation ineffectual. Help, Lord!

2. By the way of prayer and supplication. I have many errands at the throne of grace this day. 
The pardon of sin, victory over my corruptions and temptations, mortifying of my lusts, which go not forth but by prayer and fasting. In reference to sin, I desire I may be enabled to act faith upon Rom. vi. 14. 'Sin shall not have dominion over you, for ye are not under the law, but under grace;' and Ezek. xxxvi. 25, 26, 27. 'Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean from all your filthiness, and from your idols will I cleanse you; a new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you,' &c.
The increase of my ministerial gifts, a sound judgment, a clear expression, a door of utterance, readiness in the Scriptures; in reference to which I desire I may be helped to act faith upon Exod. iv. 12. 'Go, and I will he with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say;' and John xiv. 26, ' He shall teach you all things.'

The success of my ministerial labors, that sinners may be converted, saints built up, and the congregation flourish; in reference to this, I desire to act faith on Matt, xxviii. 20. 'Lo, I am with you always;' and Isaiah iv. 10, 11. 'As the rain cometh down,' &.c.

The blessing of God upon my wife and children; that God will give his grace to my dear little ones, and drive out the foolishness bound up in their hearts; in reference to which I desire to act faith on Isaiah xliv. 3. 'I will pour out my Spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring.'

My other dear relations I would recommend to God's protection and blessing in prayer; my friends, acquaintance, brethren in the ministry, in London, in Dublin, in Cheshire, and Lancashire particularly; and the congregation at Broad Oak, and their minister, some Members of Parliament, and other gentlemen of my acquaintance.

January 1, 1702:

The covenant of grace being a new covenant, because ever new, and often to be renewed, I have, this new year's day, early in the morning, while it is yet dark, solemnly renewed it upon my knees; and be it a memorandum indeed, ever remembered, and never forgotten. 
Humbly acknowledging my dependence upon God, as my Creator and the Author of my being; my obligations in duty to him as my Sovereign Lord and Ruler, and my engagements in gratitude to him as my Protector and Benefactor; and mentioning, with thankfulness, the many mercies of my life hitherto, and particularly those of the year past; during which, I have found myself the care of a very kind Providence, which has made the steps of my pilgrimage comfortable; which has preserved to me the use of my reason and understanding, limbs and senses; hath continued my liberty and opportunity to exercise my ministry; hath provided plentifully for me and my family, and loaded me daily with his benefits. For all which I praise his name, and for the mediation of Jesus Christ, to which I owe all. 
Acknowledging, also, and lamenting the remaining strength of my corruptions, and my bent to backslide from the living God, taking to myself the shame of my many defects and follies, notwithstanding my frequent renewing of my covenant with God, and flying to Christ for righteousness, pardon, and peace.

I once more bind my soul with a bond to be the Lord's wholly, and only, and for ever his. Into thy hands, O God, I commit my spirit, to be ruled, cleansed, and sanctified throughout, qualified for thy service in this world, and for the fruition of thee in the other. My body I present unto thee a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable for it is my reasonable service. My ministry I devote to thy honor, and the continuance and success of it I submit to thy will. All my worldly comforts I lay at thy feet, to be disposed of as thou pleasest. My life itself is thine; O God of my life, 'my times are in thy hand.' Whatever maybe the events of this year, let divine grace be sufficient for me, to enable me to accommodate myself to the will of God in them; and then nothing can come amiss. If God will be with me, and keep me in the way that I go, throughout the remaining part of my pilgrimage, in the world where I am but a stranger, and will gfve me bread to eat and raiment to put on, and a heart to love him, and serve him, and live to him, so that I may come at last to my heavenly Father's house in peace, then shall the Lord be my God, my Lord, and my God forever. Amen. Hallelujah.

December 31, 1702:
1. As to myself and family, the days of another year are numbered and finished, a year not made particularly remarkable by any great change in my circumstances; no new thing created, but, as usual, (1.) The usual matter of complaint against myself; folly is still found, yea, bound up, in my heart; though I hope, through grace, corruption is dying, yet not without some struggles, and much opposition from a naughty heart. I desire to lament my unskillfulness, and unreadiness in scripture, my dullness in holy duties, particularly in secret. I wish I had prayed more for the success of my ministry, but sometimes I have thought I should pray for more grace, to make me faithful myself, that I may be accepted of God, though not of men; but, perhaps, I should pray more for the prosperity of the work of God, even in my hand, though most unworthy; vain thoughts, crowds of them, are matter of complaint daily; never was more corrupt soil more fruitful in weeds. (2.) The usual matter of thanksgiving to God. I have had great measure of health, few of my brethren so much. I note it, because, perhaps, the ensuing year may bring sickness or death with it. I have not ailed any thing considerable, and sometimes the highest degree of health is the next degree to sickness. I have not so many sensible memorandums of my frailty, as those have that are often ailing. The Lord grant I may, by the power of grace, be kept more mindful of it. Ever since brother Radford died, which is now three years ago, death has made no breach among my relations. Since I set out in the world, I never was so long without the death of children, or others near and dear to me. My children are very healthful, and have had no ill accident. My dear wife, though often indisposed, yet, blessed be God, under no languishing distemper ; and my dear mother still continued in usefulness. As to my ministry, that which has been most discouraging this year is, that few young ones have come into communion, I think fewer than any other year.

As to my estate, I have lived comfortably upon it with what I have received here, but while in these circumstances I cannot expect to lay by much; perhaps troubles may come which may sweep away all. I have some comfort, that I hope I do some good with what I have, and spend none of it ill.

2. As to the public, the death of the king [King William III] this year has made a great change in the face of things, though not yet such a change as many feared. Our successes abroad, both by sea and land, have been very great, which magnifies the present government, and that we have reason to rejoice in. The discontented in the last reign are now pleased. I wish they may ever be so. The high-church are very high, both against the low, and dissenters. Now, Lord, behold their threatenings. We are alarmed to think of sufferings, and we need such alarms.

I have heartily wished that the bigotry of some violent conformists, on the one side, and of some dissenters, on the other, might drive the sober, moderate, and peaceable on both sides, nearer together, and prepare things for a coalescence when God's time is come, which I earnestly pray for, and which, perhaps, might he effected if they could disentangle themselves as much from the high-church as I think we are from the high dissenters, or I wish we were.

January 1, 1703:

'Looking for the blessed hope.' This new-year's day I have in much weakness, and compassed about with many infirmities, upon my knees, made a fresh surrender of myself, my whole self, all I am, all I have, all I can do, to God the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, my Creator, Owner, Ruler, and Benefactor; all my affections to be ruled by the divine grace, and all my affairs to be overruled by the divine providence, so that I may not come short of glorifying God in this world, and being glorified with him in a better.

Confirming and ratifying all former resignations of myself to God, and lamenting all the disagreeableness of my heart and life therewith, and depending upon the merit of the Redeemer to make this and all my other services acceptable, and the grace of the Sanctifier to enable me to make good these engagements, I again bind my soul with a bond to the Lord, and commit myself entirely to him; particularly as to the events of this year which I am now entering upon, not knowing the things that may abide me in it.

If this year should be a year of continued health and comfort, I commit myself to the grace of God, to be preserved from carnal security, and to be enabled in a day of prosperity to serve God with joy. 

If my opportunities, as a minister, should be this year continued, I commit my studies, and ministerial labors at home and abroad, to the blessing of God; having afresh consecrated them all to his service and honor, earnestly desiring mercy of the Lord to be faithful and successful.

If I should be this year at any time tried with doubts concerning my duty, I commit myself to the divine conduct, with an unbiased desire, praying to know what God will have me to do, with a fixed resolution by his grace to follow his direction in the integrity of my heart.

If I should this year be afflicted in my body, family, name, or estate, I commit my all to the Divine disposal. The will of the Lord be done; only begging that the grace of God may go along with the providence of God in all my afflictions, to enable me both to bear them well, and to use them well.

If this year I should be disturbed or molested in the exercise of my ministry, if I should be silenced, or otherwise suffer for well doing, I commit the keeping of my soul to God as a faithful Creator; depending upon him to guide me iu my call to suffer, and to make that clear, and to preserve me from perplexing snares : depending upon him to support and comfort me under my sufferings, and to bring glory to himself out of them; and then, welcome his whole will.

If this year should be my dying year, as perhaps it maybe, I commit my spirit into the hands of my Redeemer, to .be washed with his blood, and presented in his arms with exceeding joy. My wife and children I commit to him to be owned, blessed, and preserved by him when I am gone. 'In thee, O Lord, have I put my trust, let me never be ashamed.'

December 31, 1703:

[After reciting, as on some former occasions, his sins and mercies, and observing that, even under the gospel, there must be a remembrance of sins every year, he proceeds—] Not such as speaks any deficiency in the sacrifice, as that under the law did, but such as speaks deficiency in my daily repentance,—which ought, therefore, to be renewed,—and the imperfection of the work of sanctification,

Unfixedness of thought, a wretched desultoriness. Some speak of time well spent in thinking, but I find, unless in speaking, reading, or writing, my thinking doth not turn to much account. Though I have had comfort in some broken good thoughts, yet I can seldom fix my heart to a chain of them. O that the thought of my heart may be forgiven.

I have oft bewailed my barrenness in good discourse, and unskillfulness in beginning it, and coldness of concern for the souls of others ; and in reflection on this year, I find it has not been much better. I bless God I love good discourse, and would promote it, but I want zeal. The Lord pity me.

I have great reason to be thankful for continued health, for comfort in my soul, not made a terror to myself. I have oft thought this year, what a mercy it is to be kept out of the horrible pit and miry clay.

I have had much satisfaction this year in my nonconformity, especially by reading Mr. Hoadly's books, in which I see a manifest spirit of Christianity unhappily leavened by the spirit of conformity.

January 1, 1704:

Acknowledging my continued dependence upon God as my Creator, Preserver, and chief good; and my continued obligations to him in duty as my Lord and Ruler; and in interest, as my Benefactor and Protector; believing that he is, and that he is the rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Relying upon the merit, mediation, and everlasting righteousness of my dear Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, who loved me and gave himself for me, as my way to the Father, and the spotless robe wherein alone lean appear before him.

And submitting my soul to the operation and influences of the blessed Spirit of grace, without which, l am nothing, and can do nothing.

Thankfully owning God's goodness to me the last year, in lengthening out my life, health, comfort in soul, peace, plenty, settlement, relations, liberty, and opportunity: and admiring his patience, forbearance, longsuffering, in sparing me in his vineyard, who deserved to have been cut down and cast into the fire as a barren tree.

Lamenting my foolishness, the foolishness which is still bound up in my heart, and that which still breaks forth in my life; and particularly that my improvements in grace and usefulness last year did not answer the covenants which began it.

Because of all this I make a sure covenant and write it.

In the strength of the grace of Jesus Christ, on which alone I depend to work all my works in me and for me, I covenant for this new year, for my whole life, to walk closely with God in all holy conversation, to keep my heart with all diligence; and to thee, O my God, I commit the keeping of it. To take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue; and do thou set a watch, O Lord, before the door of my lips. I covenant to redeem my time, and to thee, O God, do I consecrate this year, and all the hours of it. The Lord enable me to fill it up with good according as the duty of every day requires. I bind myself to follow the spirit of God in all my affections, and the providence of God in all my affairs, whatever God shall appoint me. to this year; to health or sickness, to plenty or loss, to evil report, or good report, to liberty or restraint, to the house of mourning or the house of rejoicing, to life or death. Behold, here I am, let him do with me as seemeth good in his eyes. Only, whatever the providence of God allots for me, let the grace of God be sufficient for me, to enable me to accommodate myself to it; and then welcome the will of God.

January 1, 1705:

Not renouncing, but repeating and ratifying., all my former covenants with God, and lamenting that I have not lived up more closely to them, I do, in the beginning of this new year, solemnly make a fresh surrender of myself, of my whole self, body, soul, and spirit, to God the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; my Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier; covenanting and promising, not in any strength of my own, for I am very weak, but in the strength of the grace of Jesus Christ, that I will endeavor this year to stand complete in all the will of God. I know this is the will of God, even my sanctification. Lord grant that this year I may be more holy, and walk more closely than ever in all holy conversation. I earnestly desire to be filled with holy thoughts, to be carried out in holy affections, determined by holy aims and intentions, and governed in all my words and actions by holy principles. O that a golden thread of holiness may run through the whole web of this year.

I know it is the will of God that I should be useful, and by his grace I will be so. Lord, thou knowest it is the top of my ambition in this world to do good, and to be serviceable to the honor of Christ, and the welfare of precious souls. I would fain do good in the pulpit, and good with my pen; and, which I earnestly desire to abound more in, to do good by my common converse. O that the door of my opportunities may be still open, and that my heart may be enlarged with holy zeal and activity for God this year; and that I may be thoroughly furnished with knowledge, wisdom, and grace, for every good word and work.

If it be the will of God that this year should be a year of affliction to me, a year of sickness or reproach, or loss; if my family should be visited, if my liberties should be cut short, if public troubles should arise, if any calamity should befall me, which I am least apprehensive now, I earnestly desire to submit to the divine disposal. Welcome, the holy will of God. Let me have God's favor, and the assurances of that, and by his grace nothing shall come amiss to me.

If it be the will of God that I should finish my course this year, let me be found of Christ in peace, and by the grace of God, death shall be welcome to me. My wife and children, and relations, my congregation, which is very dear to me, my ministry, myself, and my all, I commit to God, whose I am, and whom I desire to serve. Let me be the Lord's only, wholly, and forever. Amen. The Lord say Amen to it.

December 31, 1705:

We bring our years to an end, like a tale that is told. Lord teach us to number our days.

In the review of the year I find,

1. That I have as much reason as ever to be thankful to God. It has been a year of much mercy. My life has been continued to the end of it, though many of my brethren in the ministry have been removed in the midst of their days, who, had they lived, would have done God more service than I can; particularly my dear brother Mr. Chorlton. I have had a good measure of health for my ministry and study; no returns or remains of my last year's illness.

God has this year brought my children through the small-pox, and borne up my dear wife under great weakness.

My mother also, though brought low, has been helped.

My door of opportunity continues open at home and abroad; and I am willing to hope some good is done.

That which is especially remarkable, as the mercy of this year, is the nappy posture of our public affairs, particularly at home. After a mighty struggle moderate counsels have prevailed. God has wonderfully inclined the queen's heart to such counsels; and useth her as an instrument of great good to the land, that the excellency of the power may be of God. Patrons of our liberty have been strangely raised up among those who have no kindness for us, or our way. The intemperate acts of bigots have proved to make mightily against themselves; there are many adversaries, and yet the door continues open. Great endeavors used to render us contemptible, odious, dangerous, and what not, and yet we live and go on, and young ones are coming in, and some hopeful ones. O that the power of godliness, holiness, seriousness, and heavenly-mindedness, might prevail more among us, and then we should have a very hopeful prospect. And who can tell but Infinite Wisdom may yet find out a way for comprehending us, though the present temper of our neighbors rather sets it at a greater distance than ever.

2. I have reason to make the old complaint of dullness and weakness, and coldness of affection to divine things. The Lord strengthen the things which remain!

Care about my children, providing something for them, has been often in my head; and perhaps, more than it should be. Lord, I cast the care upon thee, who hast provided well for me; the Lord care for them, and teach me my duty, and then with him I will leave the event.

January 1, 1706:

It is of the Lord's mercy that I am not consumed. By night, on my bed, I endeavored to seek him whom my soul loveth; and now I begin this new year,

1. Earnestly praying for the graces of the year with a humble subjection of soul to the blessed Spirit of God, that I may, some way or other, eminently honor and glorify God this year; that I may live this year to some purpose; to better purpose than I did the last. O that no temptation may so overtake me this year as to overcome me. To the conduct of divine grace, which is, I know, sufficient for me, I here solemnly resign myself, my thoughts, my affections, my will, and all the intents of my heart, to be directed into the right way, and kept and quickened in it Let me this year receive grace for grace.

2. Patiently waiting for the events of the year, with a humble submission to the holy will of God. I know not what the year shall bring forth; but I know it shall bring forth nothing amiss to me, if God be my God in covenant; if it bring forth death—that I hope shall quite finish sin, and free me from it—Lord let thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word. I commit my family to my heavenly Father, to God, even my own God, my father's God, my children's God. O pour out thy Spirit upon my seed, thy blessing, that blessing, that blessing of blessings, upon my offspring, that they may be praising God on earth when I am praising him in heaven. Amen, amen.

January 1, 1707:

My own act and deed, through the grace of God, I have made it many a time, and now I make it the first act of this new year, to resign myself afresh unto the Lord, not only for the year ensuing, but for my whole life, and forever.    

1. To thee, O God, I give up myself, to be used and employed for thee. I desire to live no longer than I may do thee some service. Make what use of me thou pleasest, only let me obtain mercy of the Lord, to be found diligent, humble, and faithful. O that the work of this year may be better done than that of the last, and my time more filled up; and that I may never grow weary of well doing.

2. To thee, O God, I give up myself, to be disposed of by thee as thou pleasest. I know not what the year may bring forth to me, or to my family. But welcome the holy will of God; and God, by his grace, make me ready for it. If it be the last year of my life, my dying year, may I but finish my course with joy; and farewell this world. Whatever afflictions may this year befall me, I desire none of them may move me from God and my duty.

December 31, 1707:

As to the year past I have as much reason as ever to lament my barrenness, and unfruitfulness, that I have not made a better proficiency in knowledge and grace. I find myself growing into years, being now turned forty-five. I begin to feel my journey in my bones, and I desire to be thereby loosened from the world, and from the body. The death of my dear and honored mother this year, has been a sore breach upon my comfort; for she was my skillful, faithful counsellor; and it is an intimation to me that now, in the order of nature, I must go next. My estate is somewhat increased: the Lord enlarge my heart to do good with it; but as goods are increased, they are increased that eat them. My children are growing up, and that reminds me that I am going down. As to my ministry here, Mr. Mainwaring's leaving me, and his wife, has been very much my discouragement. But Providence so ordered it that Mr. Harvey's congregation are generally come in to us, or else we begin to dwindle, so that I should have gone on very heavily.

January 1, 1708:

early. Christ is a Christian's all, and he is my all.

Unto thee, O blessed Jesus; my only Saviour and Redeemer, do I make a fresh surrender of my whole self this morning, body, soul, and spirit; to me to live is Christ, particularly this ensuing year. 

All my time, strength and service, I devote to the honor of the Lord Jesus; my studies and all my ministerial labors, and even my common actions. It is my earnest expectation and hope, and I desire it may be my constant aim and endeavor, that Jesus Christ may be magnified in my body.

In every thing wherein I have to do with God, my entire dependence is upon Jesus Christ for strength and righteousness; and whatever I do in word or deed, I desire to do all in his name, to make him my Alpha and Omega. The anointed of the Lord is the breath of my nostrils; through his hand I desire to receive all my comforts. I have all by him, and I would use all for him.

If this should prove a year of affliction, a sorrowful year upon my account, I will fetch all my supports and comforts from the Lord Jesus, and stay myself upon his everlasting consolations, and the good hope I have in him through grace.

And if it should be my dying year, my times are in the hand of the Lord Jesus; and with a humble reliance upon his mediation, I would venture into another world, looking for the blessed hope. Dying as well as living, Jesus Christ will, I trust, be gain and advantage to me.

Good Lord, keep this always in the imagination of the thought of my heart, and establish my way before thee.

January 1, 1713:

Firmly believing that my times are in God’s hand, I here submit myself and all my affairs for the ensuing year, to the wise and gracious disposal of God’s divine providence. Whether God appoints for me health or sickness, peace or trouble, comforts or crosses, life or death — may His holy will be done! 
 
All my time, strength, and service, I devote to the honor of the Lord Jesus–and even my common actions. It is my earnest expectation, hope, and desire, my constant aim and endeavor–that Jesus Christ may be magnified in me. In everything I have to do – my entire dependence is upon Jesus Christ for strength. And whatever I do in word or deed, I desire to do all in His name, to make Him my Alpha and Omega. 
I have all from Him – and I would use all for Him. 
If this should prove a year of affliction, a sorrowful year to me – I will fetch all my supports and comforts from the Lord Jesus and stay myself upon Him, His everlasting consolations, and the good hope I have in Him through grace. 
And if it should be my dying year–then my times are in the hand of the Lord Jesus. And with a humble reliance upon His mediation, I would venture into the eternal world looking for the blessed hope. Dying as well as living – Jesus Christ will, I trust, be gain and advantage to me. 
Oh, that the grace of God may be sufficient for me, to keep me always a humble sense of my own unworthiness, weakness, folly, and infirmity – together with a humble dependence upon the Lord Jesus Christ for both righteousness and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment