Friday, January 1, 2010

Prayers From the Psalms

Richard Allestree, "Pious Ejaculations Taken From the Book of Psalms," in The Whole Duty of Man, pp. 319-322:

For Pardon of Sin.

Have mercy upon me, O God, after thy great goodness, according to the multitude of thy mercies do away with mine offences.

Wash me thoroughly from my wickedness, and cleanse me from my sin.

Turn thy face from my sins, and put out all my misdeeds.

My misdeeds prevail against me; O be thou merciful unto my sins.

Enter not into judgment with thy servant, for in thy sight shall no man living be justified.

For thy name's sake, O Lord, be merciful unto my sin, for it is very great.

Turn thee, O Lord, and deliver my soul: O save me for thy mercy's sake.

For Grace.

Teach me to do the thing that pleaseth thee; for thou art my God.

Teach me thy way, O Lord, and I will walk in thy truth: O knit my heart to thee, that I may fear thy name.

Make me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

O let my heart be found in thy statutes, that I be not ashamed.

Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.

Turn away mine eyes lest they should behold vanity, and quicken thou me in thy way.

I am a stranger upon earth, O hide not thy commandments from me.

Lord, teach me to number my days, that I may apply my heart unto wisdom.

For the Light of God's Countenance.

Lord, why abhorrest thou my soul, and hidest thy face from me? O hide not thou thy face from me, nor cast thy servant away in displeasure.

Thy loving kindness is better than life itself.

Lord, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon me.

Comfort the soul of thy servant; for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.

A Thanksgiving.

I will always give thanks unto the Lord, his praise shall ever be in my mouth.

Thou art my God, and I will thank thee; thou art my God, and I will praise thee.

I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live: I will praise my God whilst I have my being.

Praised be God, which hath not cast out my prayer, nor turned his mercy from me.

Blessed be the Lord God, even the God of Israel, which only doth wondrous things.

And blessed be the name of his Majesty for ever: And all the earth shall be filled with his Majesty. Amen, Amen.

For Deliverance from Trouble.

Be merciful unto me, O Lord, be merciful unto me, for my soul trusteth in thee: and under the shadow of thy wings shall be my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.

Deliver me, O Lord, from mine enemies; for I flee unto thee to hide me.

O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be confounded: for I have put my trust in thee.

Mine eyes are ever looking unto the Lord: for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.

Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and in misery.

The sorrows of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my troubles.

For the Church.

O be favourable and gracious unto Sion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.

O God, wherefore art thou absent from us so long? Why is thy wrath so hot against the sheep of thy pasture?

O think upon thy congregation, whom thou hast purchased and redeemed of old.

Look upon the tribe of thine inheritence, and Mount Sion where thou hast dwelt.

It is time for thee, Lord, to lay to thy hand; for they have destroyed thy law.

Arise, O God, and maintain thine own cause; deliver Israel, O God, out of all his troubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment