Friday, February 5, 2010

Turning Words Into Works

Francis Roberts provides a list of directions for the right use of Scripture in Clavis Bibliorum: The Key of the Bible, Unlocking the Richest Treasury of the Holy Scriptures, and the last (p. 11) I thought particularly worthwhile to post here:

IX Rule.

The last Direction I shall commend to the Reader for the improvement of Heavenly dexterity in, and understanding of the holy Scriptures, is; Endeavor sincerely to practice Scripture, and you shall solidly understand Scripture. Bernard said truly, he rightly reads the Scriptures that turns words into works, Knowing into Doing. The mightiest man in practice, will in the end prove the mightiest man in Scripture. Theory is the guide of Practice, Practice the Life of Theory. Where Scripture contemplation and experience meet both together in the same person, true Scripture understanding must needs be heightned and doubled. To this effect is Christs promise My Doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me; if any man will do his will, he shall of the doctrine whether it be of God. To like purpose subscribes the experience of David. That through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the Ancients, because I keep thy Precepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment